[plug] samba connection problems

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Sun Feb 16 04:59:17 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Quintin Lette <quintin at arach.net.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:59:36 +0800
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] samba connection problems

> Are we having a master browser war here, if you can get away with it try
> disconnecting Esmith from the network and test again (I know, I know we're
> getting desparate here)

Well, this didn't fix it, but it resulted in some odd occurances.  After I shut down the e-smith box, server2 was no longer detected by the xp box, yet the e-smith box was still listed (despite me searching for server2).  So, thinking this was a bit strange, I double clicked on the e-smith box in windows explorer...and it gave me the same error message that it's been giving me for this server2 that I've been struggling with!  If this error message is worth much (and windows error messages are not always worth much of anything), it could be a clue that the windows xp home box is detecting server2's name, but when trying to connect, it's as if it's turned off!  I've tried shutting down the iptables firewall, and that doesn't improve things any.  I wonder if the answer could be tcpdump output that I posted?

Thanks again,

Ari