[plug] MySQL

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 13:33:42 WST 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 10:59, Ben Jensz wrote:
> This may sound like a stupid question, but I can't see anything in the
> MySQL manual about being able to set which interface or interfaces to
> get MySQL to listen on, rather than all interfaces.
>
> I've done some Googling and can't find anything there either.
>
> Basically the machine has 3 NICs/IPs and I only want MySQL listening on
> one of those NICs/IPs.  I could just block access with iptables, but I'd
> prefer it to not be listening on those interfaces at all.  I'm running
> version 3.23.54a.
>
> Anyone?

Is that a MySQL issue? The server is listening on a port, which is application
layer stuff. The packets are delivered to that port by the transport layer
(via the network stack). The application isn't sensitive to (in fact, I don't
think it can tell) how the packets got into the box.

iptables is the correct, and, I think, only, way to get things as you want
them.