[plug] Question about the boot process.

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Feb 26 15:50:08 WST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:07:10PM +0800, Dion wrote:
> Hi I have a question for the clever Pluggers out there.  I am wondering
> about what is happening at each point in the boot process relative to
> screen output.
> I have been fiddling with compiling a 2.5.62 kernel under Debian 3.0
> once complete and the lilo has been updated, I try to boot the kernel.
> It begins booting with screen output

> and goes no further than that.  At this point is the Kernel still being
> copied to memory?? or unpacked?? I am trying to figure where to look for
> the point of failure.

I think at that point you're actaully in lilo not the kernel.  each '.'
represents a block of the kernel image read from disk I think.

The first thing the kernel proper prints is the "Uncompressing ......"
message.

As Carl (sp?) has said, try making all your input layer as built in
rather than modules.  Check your console specification.  If you have
framebuffer support compiled in, make sure you have console on
framebuffer enabled also.

If you're still having problems then send grep '^[^#]' /boot/config-2.5.62

Yours Tony