[plug] Question about the boot process.

Sham Chukoury chukours at sesmailp1.curtin.edu.au
Wed Feb 26 18:27:11 WST 2003

Dion wrote:
> Hi I have a question for the clever Pluggers out there.  I am wondering
> about what is happening at each point in the boot process relative to
> screen output.
> I have been fiddling with compiling a 2.5.62 kernel under Debian 3.0
> once complete and the lilo has been updated, I try to boot the kernel.
> It begins booting with screen output

> and goes no further than that.  At this point is the Kernel still being
> copied to memory?? or unpacked?? I am trying to figure where to look for
> the point of failure.

I had this problem once when I installed a new kernel (2.4.20)... I just
overwrote the old (2.4.20) kernel and system map and rebooted without
running lilo. I got the problem you describe above. So then I just
rebooted into my old default kernel (2.4.18), ran lilo and when booting
the 2.4.20 kernel again, it all worked fine.

(Yes well, it worked fine, except at the point where i typed "startx",
but that's another story...)

So yea, remember to run lilo every time you put in a new kernel or
replace an old one. :P
Hope this helps
§:)