[plug] dual boot - Windows reinstall

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Feb 27 22:12:41 WST 2003

At 02:51 PM 27-02-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:06:13AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>
>| If the Windows installer is an OEM version, it is likely to blow away all
>| unrecognised partitions and redo everything from scratch. Polite. So back up
>| anything you treasure first, including hard-won config files or whatever.
>
>Windows ME did this to me...  I created a Linux partition and a FAT32
>partition, installed Linux, and then installed WinME.  I lost my Linux
>partitions without warning - it created a FAT32 partition spanning the whole
>drive whether I wanted it or not!
>
>| If there's nothing you treasure on there, safest approach is to install
>| Windows first, then (re)install Linux, FreeBSD, whatever afterwards.
>
>Yes.  I'm not sure whether all versions of Windows allow you to choose the
>size of the partitions it creates, though... urgh.
>
>Cameron.

If you want to re-install Windows after Linux is installed on the system :

1 - Make a DOS boot disk with the version of Windows you are re-installing.
2 - Make sure the boot disk has CDROM support.
3 - Format your Windows partition from the boot disk, using           format
C: /s
4 - Create a directory called 'SETUP' - then copy the Windows installation
files from the 'Win9x' directory on the CDROM to the 'SETUP' directory on C:
drive.
5 - Reboot the PC from the C: drive.
6 - Run 'setup.exe' from  'SETUP' directory on C: drive.
8 - Reboot PC - configure Windows.
9 - Reboot your PC from your Linux boot disk
10 - Run lilo/grub to reinstate lilo and your boot menus.

NOTE : If you install from the CD - DO NOT run 'SETUP.EXE' from the root
directory of the CDROM - run 'SETUP.EXE' from the 'Win9x' directory on the
CDROM - your Linux partitions should remain intact

CAUTION : I cannot verify if the above steps are suitable for re-installing
Windows NT/2K/XP - so take care.

Regards Arie