[plug] auto-increment in mysql

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 1 22:58:56 WST 2003

> Ok, thanks. My main hands on experience has been with Access and MySQL, I
> guess the only really thing that has been holding me back from using postgre
> is the fact that it is something new, which would mean even more learning -
> but thats the IT world for you, right?

Sure is. I have to run a network with 4 OSs, 2 RDBMS, etc at work. I
assure you that keeps me on my toes.

> I guess also, entity relationship diagrams are one thing that will just
> never go away.. especially since relational db's are the way to go
> now-a-days, over flatfile db's.

Indeed. Design before ever writing ANY code, same as always. Then,
sadly, do a mock-up, realise your design was stupid, and redesgin. Of
course, that last bit is just me....

The postgresql docs don't really go into /design/ as much as would be
nice but do give a good grounding in RDBMS concepts and practise.

Of course there's nothing stopping you reading the postgres docs for
general info and using mysql - you'd just be doing a bit more work. The
mysql manual is very good, its just not a manual for SQL and databases,
its the /mysql/ manual only.

Craig