[plug] OpenGL and SDL

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Sun Jan 12 19:32:50 WST 2003

<quote who="I am the LinuxAlien">

> I have recently reinstalled Debian. I have got problems that previously I
> didn't have. Games that use OpenGL now run with a frame rate of less than 1
> frame a second. I used to get games with over 60 frames a second. OpenGL
> seems to be installed properly as glxgears runs at over 80 frames a second.
> Game such as Tuxracer and Cube are the problem. It seems to me the problem
> is in the SDL layer as both those games access OpenGL through SDL.

What sort of video card are you using? If it is non-NVidia, then you'll need
to make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled.

Typing glxinfo should tell you whether you have hardware accelerated 3D.
Look for the line 'direct rendering: Yes'.

80 frames a second in glxgears sounds like it is using software rendering.

Cheers,
Jan.

Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

<stibbons> Yeah.  The whole climax thing would make much more sense
           if I'd paid attention.