[plug] OT: virus checking for ntfs disk

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Jan 21 23:27:17 WST 2003

was: Re: Re: [plug] F-Prot on Bootable CD

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 22:19, Paul Caston wrote:
> Would this be such a good idea if the system uses NTFS?
>
> I suppose if you instruct F-prot NOT to make any changes if it finds a virus
> then if you do find one move the disk to a Windows machines and clean it from
> there.
>
> This is supposing the Windows machine isn't able to boot. You could also
> install Windows in a different folder or you may (if your lucky) be able to
> use a boot disk with ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com
>
> I've actually been lucky and all my customers were still able to boot to the
> point where I could install AVG or a virus specific cleaner.
>
> Another (alternate) option is to just use a McAfee boot disk. Apparently these
> have all the latest DEF's compressed on disk except those for Trojans.
>
> I found a McAfee boot disk image many moons ago and was able to update the
> DEF's from the McAfee site.
>
> I don't use this though cause I doubt I would be licenced to. If you become
> so, however, you would need to make it part of your cycle to update the floppy
> regulary.
>
> regards,
>
> Chris Caston

I may be mistaken but I thought the pe or 'pre-executable' script tool
for cd was specifically designed for this case. Has anyone tried it?
(in the October, 2002 update to the CD kit:)
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/sam/winPe.asp

Does the McAfee boot to a floppy that can fix ntfs? I thought it had to
be a cd.  Perhaps it boots to cd and gets the virus definitions from the
floppy.  If it's just a floppy it may be way ahead of what we can make
up ourselves.

It's too late at night for me!
cheers,
Daniel