[plug] massive CPU activity on CD writing, cdda rips, etc

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 27 03:29:24 WST 2003

> Hmmm, "reliable" and "24x burn" in the same e-mail?

Not media failures. I don't have that problem generally. The issue here
is the CPU-time-munching I'm encountering.

> For reliability my 40x Sony has never hit anything over 12x, as not all
> older cdroms read the burn and most cd players & stereos have problems
> somewhere along the track. Especially hurts during DJing >:(

I don't need to write audio CDs and I've never had read problems with
CDs I write using either the old or new burners, in CD-RW drives,
DVD-ROMs, CD-ROMs etc, both mine and others.

> CD media quality affects burn reliability as well. Find a good CD-R and
> use the eroaster log to see who makes the media. See if the brand hasn't
> changed since then. Teac, TDK, Pioneer have all have their turn at
> "testing the lesser costing competitors product", and I don't buy them
> anymore because of it.

Currently I'm using TDK Gold media, which are quite good enough :-)
Usually I buy Kodak media, however.

cdrecord -atip is handy for getting media info.

Craig