[plug] mod_rewrite: Out of chickens!

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 20:59:35 WST 2003

Martin wrote:

>><Directory /document/root>
>>  RewriteEngine on
>>  RewriteBase /
>>  RewriteRule ^askedfor/path new/path [L]
>></Directory>
>
> ok, that does some rewriting. does it work?

Yep! Does exactly what I want (amazing for mod_rewrite)...

>>Now, this in itself works as I want. However, my /cgi-bin/ dir has crapped
>>itself:
>>   Options FollowSymLinks or SymLinksIfOwnerMatch is off which implies that
>>RewriteRule directive is forbidden
>
> you lost me there. what does the <Directory> statements look like for both
> the root and the cgi-bin?

Because the scope of the rewrite engine also covers the cgi-bin dir,
it's balking at accessing anything in cgi-bin, because for that dir I
have neither Options FollowSymLinks nor SymLinksIfOwnerMatch - which is
a sensible thing to have for a cgi-bin.

However, the actual remapping rules have nothing to do with the cgi-bin
dir, ergo, I want it to ignore the cgi-bin dir for remapping, but still
pay attention to the rest of the server - or at least, pay attention to
the URLs I want remapped...

> can you supply both parts of the conf file for me? off list preferably

The cgi-bin is a pretty standard block, to clamp down on security a bit
more:

<Directory /document/root/cgi-bin>
   AllowOverride None
   Options None
</Directory>

Upon consideration, I could possibly get around it by shifting the
cgi-bin OUT from under the document root - but given our system setup
that would be QUITE a large infrastructure change. I'd rather do it by
altering the rewrite rules. Or just end up writing my own rewrite
module. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |