[plug] LinuxChix (OT)

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Jan 28 21:42:54 WST 2003

Hi

LinuxChix.org is hosted in Melbourne by Jenn and Dancer Vesperman. It is
run entirely by volunteers and most of the activity is on the email
discussion lists.

I am one of the list admins for the [Issues] list and look after the Linux
Linx on the website. Many volunteers attend to each of the web pages and lists.

There are a number of Women in IT groups in Australia, including AIIA,
Women in IT, ACS, DigitalEve, WISE, Webgrrls, and IEEE.

DigitalEve Japan is on the same time zone as Perth, so I participate online
there, and also manage the DigitalEve International [TechDevas] list.

I suggest that you listen in on some of the email discussion lists and read
the FAQ to find out if LinuxChix is what you had in mind. Some of the women
(and men) at Linux.conf.au 2003 are members. Also, some of the LinuxChix
have been interviewed by Tina Gasperson and are up on NewsForge.

Although I participate in the ICT sector, my work is mostly in the areas of
science, engineering and more specifically electronics. I think of myself
as a human bean first, and I guess I'm fortunate that being a woman does
not often present itself as an issue.

When it does, it is not usually from the men in the Linux community :)

If you are interested in getting more girls into IT, then WISE may be the
go as they arrange events and activities for girls to attend and spark
their interest in such things.

Also, National Science Week in August is a good time with a lot happening
around Australia. Many national organisations get behind this including the
ABC.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)