[plug] LinuxChix (OT)

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Tue Jan 28 22:50:49 WST 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:42:54PM +0800, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> LinuxChix.org is hosted in Melbourne by Jenn and Dancer Vesperman. It is
> run entirely by volunteers and most of the activity is on the email
> discussion lists.

Thanks Jacqueline, I was obviously misled by the vast amount of
overseas based chapters versus the local to .au that are listed.

> There are a number of Women in IT groups in Australia, including AIIA,
> Women in IT, ACS, DigitalEve, WISE, Webgrrls, and IEEE.
>
> DigitalEve Japan is on the same time zone as Perth, so I participate online
> there, and also manage the DigitalEve International [TechDevas] list.

Excellent, thanks for the resources :)

> I suggest that you listen in on some of the email discussion lists and read
> the FAQ to find out if LinuxChix is what you had in mind. Some of the women
> (and men) at Linux.conf.au 2003 are members. Also, some of the LinuxChix
> have been interviewed by Tina Gasperson and are up on NewsForge.

I had already joined a number of the linuxchix lists, so time will tell
regards discussion.

> If you are interested in getting more girls into IT, then WISE may be the
> go as they arrange events and activities for girls to attend and spark
> their interest in such things.

My interest was primarily to find out why the perception is that so
few women are involved.. or why so few of them seem to attend
(in ratio) to the men, to events such as the recent conf
and to offer a space to those groups for more publicity via the mag
if they so wished right along side any and all other articles.

I believe that in the last 20yrs something must have changed within
our education system to allow more girls access to the courses that
lead to technology, if there are further organisations assisting
women so much the better.

Thanks
Kimberly
--