[plug] LinuxChix (OT)

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Jan 28 22:00:27 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 20:37, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After attending the conf, and listening to the occasional outbursts
> regards "no women" at the conf.. and various debates about why..
>
> It occurred to me that perhaps there are women on this list that
> already have a "linuxChix" type association or group that is
> not openly published.. to that end if anyone knows of such a
> group please post back to me as I would like to speak with any
> persons involved regards an article in linmagau.
>
> I have checked out LinuxChix which appears to be a US based
> (but with a couple of .au(Syd/Melb)chapters) fem network
> so I am considering starting a Perth/WA group ?
>
> The whole "no women" in IT thing gets my blood pressure
> rising for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that
> to some extent it seems "localized" to Australia.
> (at least that has been my limited experience)
>
> What are we doing wrong.. apart from not getting girls aged 7
> into Linux.. (thanks Bdale) :)
>
> Any interest, or suggestions, please spam me back.
>
> Thanks
> Kimberly Shelt
> --
> http://www.linmagau.org

Perhaps women who gave some consideration to a ~'career in IT with a
Linux focus' gave up, thinking their would be work associates to be:
- people working long hours on communicating via electronic devices
- having better skills on electronic than the 'the human interface'.
- working in a dauntingly mostly male area.
- doing something that's boring
                ..... surely only perception isn't it?

I thought the sentiments behind one young lca man asking why there
weren't more women in linux might have been a plea for an honest answer
that may have lead to 'a bit of balance'.  I was taken back by a female
respondent who suggested he was focusing on procreation at work and not
willing to consider a female as an intellectual equal.
(he probably wanted balance at work, not increasing his work)

I voted for Pia as Linux Australia President, who spoke brilliantly.
She has been approachable and enthusiastic.

I believe the Plug committee positions are coming up for election at the
AGM (soon?).  Have you considered taking on a position? If so what kind
of vision do you have for plug?

Cheers,
Daniel.