[plug] LinuxChix (OT)

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 21:48:57 WST 2003

> The whole "no women" in IT thing gets my blood pressure
> rising for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that
> to some extent it seems "localized" to Australia.
> (at least that has been my limited experience)
>
> What are we doing wrong.. apart from not getting girls aged 7
> into Linux.. (thanks Bdale) :)

I've lots of experience in IT in England and it's just the same there. The
mistake seems to be thinking that there's some great conspiracy. There's not.

Generally speaking, women aren't interested in computers, or pulling cars
apart, or loads of other things that men just tend to do. And vice versa of
course. My partner spends most of her free time making clothes; you wouldn't
catch me doing that. Plenty of studies have shown that the female makeup is
geared towards social and arty things; men tend to naturally find interest in
technical things.

I'm all for backing the minority of women who do find IT interesting, but you
can't fit a square peg in a round hole. It's not society, it's not the
education system. It's just the way humans are built.