[plug] Satellite recommendations?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Jul 3 16:15:56 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 07:53, Steve Boak wrote:
> Can anyone give me a hand with real world experiences, especially
> traps with equipment to connect to a Linux server (running Mandrake
> 9.x). Westnet already provides our 56k modem link which we can use as
> the sat uplink. I already have rough prices, so recommendations on
> what to use (or avoid) would be appreciated.

What you're describing is a one-way satellite connection. There is an
alternative, called two-way satellite. In fact, this email comes from
Dunsborough via the Optus B3 (soon upgraded to C1) satellite. Last month
I was in Geraldton, and before that in Kalgoorlie and Yangebup.

I've now set this baby up five times and never looked back.

I'm carrying a rather large dish (1.8m x 2.0m) (so I will get coverage
north of Karatha), but it looks from the contour maps that you should be
able to get away with a 1.0m dish which should cost around $4,000 - this
cost may be improved on.

While this sounds like a lot of money, the monthly charge for a 400/76k
link is $150. (This includes 1.25Gb of data.)

My usage experience is that it just works.

The previous version of the modem - which I retired last week - needs
accelleration software, but the new modem has this built in. This is
important because the accellerator only worked on a very small set of
machines. The current modem even works on my Hand-held computer :-)

So, while my needs are not the same as yours - I need anywhere Internet
- this is really something you might want to consider.

As I'm in Dunsborough until August 6, I can even come and help with the
installation, saving you another $2,000 or so. And if you want to come
and see it in action, drop me a line...

Regards,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..