[plug] --PLUG July Seminar Notice: OpenOffice.org data connection - Database for the rest of us--

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Jul 7 08:21:58 WST 2003

**PLUG Seminar

Seminar: OpenOffice.org data connection - Database for the rest of us

Presenter: Mike Gilks

Abstract: Creating forms for the maintenance of a MySQL database, using the
GUI elements available in OpenOffice.org 1.0.3. No code will be harmed in
the creating of this presentation. Programmers sensibilities may be
bruised, but this is for the users!

Biography: Born in Perth, way too long ago. Worked in the Kimberley, mainly
mining and mechanic-ing, then came back to Perth. Spent two years at TAFE
studying IT, database programming, latest toys and walks on the beach.
Discovered Linux about four years back and have struggled with it ever
since. Every time I think I understand something, something else attracts
my attention and I am back to square one, learning all over again. Short
philosophical note; "Users should not have to learn about computers,
software should do the knowing, users do the work. Your average mechanic
cannot mine and refine metal, create an alloy then forge a good spanner, he
just turns the thing. Computers should do the same."

Venue: Lecture Theatre TAFE CMC - 25 Aberdeen St, Perth. Use the Museum
Street entrance. Turn left from the foyer and then take the furthest
corridor on the left (closest to the Francis Street entrance -
unfortunately closed after 6pm). The Lecture Theatre should be clearly
marked. If you get lost, ask security (in the foyer).

When: 7.30pm Tuesday 8 July 2003

Visitors and friends most welcome.

Detail about this and other events may be found in the PLUG calendar:
http://www.plug.org.au/index.php?module=PostCalendar

**Eat before the PLUG Seminar
The Plaka Shishkebab Souvlaki (87 James Street, Northbridge 9328 1636) have
two meals for the price of one on Tuesdays from 6.00pm to 8.30pm.

Team up with a fellow PLUGger or guest and mention that you are attending
the PLUG seminar. Note: This offer applies to food only.

There is lots of space and they don't mind us spreading out laptops and
taking up multiple tables.

Some of the regulars meet there around 6.30pm before walking over to the
TAFE CMC Lecture Theatre for 7.30pm.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
www.decisions-and-designs.com.au/jacqueline

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.computerangels.org.au)