[plug] Lyx - any users out there?

Rob Davies rob at ftp.rjdarts.com
Tue Jul 8 02:43:26 WST 2003

Mornin Ono,

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 08:34, Onno Benschop wrote:

> After banging my head against a brick wall over the last week, I'm about
> to admit defeat. I authored a document in Word. It has many "Paste as
> Link" items in the document (all internal - references to section names
> etc.), as well as a number of calculation.
(cut)
> So in Lyx, how do I reuse bits of text throughout the document without
> copy-paste and subsequent need to edit in multiple places?

Cross reference in insert, maybe with sections in environments(drop down
list on left hand side) Maybe investigate List or TOC in insert.

There is also a few templates and examples installed as default;
templates you will find in file new templates, examples look in LyX and
TeXmf usually at /usr/share/texmf LyX same area? Also we have in layout
document various formats to work with kuma scripts offer some
interesting alternatives read about in the help extended features.

Work through tutorial, painfull, but in end very benificial.

(cut)

> All I can see in Lyx is to point to bits as a reference, but all that
> does is add section numbers or page numbers, not the actual text.
>
> With no success I've searched with google for:
> 	lyx, latex, copy, duplicate, reuse, link, paste as link, reference,
> paragraph, text

http://www.lyx.org/ (can be a bit hard to find links, look closely
bright blue on most screens or a light grey).
http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/
http://www.ctan.org
http://www.tug.org/ctan.html
lyx-users-subscribe at lists.lyx.org (can be a bit obnoxious, tread gently)
http://www.elec.uq.edu.au/~rae/LyX/index.html

Then in the help drop down menu is a huge selection of documents to
assist.
Last resort you can insert LaTeX(red) or TeX(blue) commands via insert
TeX or if it needs to be a preamble layout preamble.
Exactly what you require not sure, but research and you should find.

HTH

--
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

'To converse is one strategy that separates us, from the Apes.'