[plug] good mail server?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 8 12:00:44 WST 2003

Hi folks

I'm looking into implementing a mail server on our linux gateway machine
to replace an ageing and rather poor NT based mail server. I was
wondering what experiences folks here have had with various mail
servers. The SMTP server side is less important than client-side access
via POP3 and IMAP. A nice IMAP server is a key priority, preferably one
that can decode messages to allow clients to download message bodies but
not attachments (until requested).

I've had a play with cyrus, and it seems to be powerful but fragile and
quirky. Migrating messages is a priority. The current mail server uses
the RFC822 message format, while I think Cyrus uses its own custom mail
store.

So - any experiences with Courier, Cyrus etc that folks would be willing
to share?

Craig Ringer