[plug] Leaving list: 300 bytes/sec

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Jul 20 22:22:25 WST 2003

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:42, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
> Although I can usually connect at around 20 kbps, my median
> throughput is about 300 bytes per second.

I understand that Telstra guarantee you 2400 bits per second. If you can
show that you're getting 2390 bits (239 bytes) per second flat strap, I
imagine it would be hard for them to only fix the line enough to
improve the data rate by 0.5%. If they argue about the reported
connection speed, explain that your modem is evidently retraining to
less than 2400BPS within a matter of seconds. Some modems can be
interrogated about that (+++,pause,ATblahblahblah).

It may also horrify you to discover that you may be able to get DSL
there! (Try asking Telstra if they can connect you with DSL first, if
they say yes then come back to WN with that result).

Cheers; Leon