[plug] Leaving list

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Jul 21 09:54:49 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 09:40, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
> The thing that really pisses you off is that we can get ~20 kbps
> connect speed, and should be able to put through about 2000 bytes per
> second.  In fact we get about 300 bytes per sec when it's running,
> and probably 70% of the time there is no traffic at all, like 30 sec
> to 1 minute with no TxD or RxD activity and 0 bytes in pppstats.  Is
> that because the modem is getting errors (do analog packets with
> errors show up as flashes on the TxD/RxD LEDs?) or is it that Telstra
> or Westnet are ignoring our traffic for that time?  How do we tell?
> I could buy a Maestro Woomera modem for $320 that has an LCD showing
> line stats, but is it my fault that the service is useless?

While I don't doubt you are having problems, what you're describing does
not sound like normal behaviour. I have no way of knowing what you have
done in the way of testing - or even have access to where you are, but
what you seem to be describing sounds to me like some serious issues.

<aside>
I understand your desire to limit your email - and I'm sorry this one
just contributes to your "deluge" - I'm on a 2-way satellite link and
sometimes I am off-line for a week because I'm moving to another town
and I do wonder about my emails :-)
</aside>

I don't know what you have tried in the way of trouble-shooting, but
here are some that come to mind immediately:
      * Get Telstra to do a line-test - they can do this remotely
      * Set your connection speed to a lower speed
      * Check that MTU is set correctly - ask WN for help
      * Find out if neighbours are having similar issues
      * Borrow a (different) modem and try that

Depending on how much you need the net, you could also change to one or
two-way satellite, but I don't know what your Internet budget is.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..