[plug] Leaving list

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 21 10:12:47 WST 2003

>>The thing that really pisses you off is that we can get ~20 kbps
>>connect speed, and should be able to put through about 2000 bytes per
>>second.  In fact we get about 300 bytes per sec when it's running,
>>and probably 70% of the time there is no traffic at all, like 30 sec
>>to 1 minute with no TxD or RxD activity and 0 bytes in pppstats.  Is
>>that because the modem is getting errors (do analog packets with
>>errors show up as flashes on the TxD/RxD LEDs?) or is it that Telstra
>>or Westnet are ignoring our traffic for that time?  How do we tell?

If there's no TX, then it's probably not your ISP ignoring your traffic.
More likely the hosts on your network (or your PC, whatever) have given
up trying for a little while.

I suspect that when it comes to corrupt/unreadable packets, the TX light
would come on (your modem naturally sends them OK) but the RX light
might not (depends on if RX really means 'got readable data' or
'something's happening on the line').

 >>I could buy a Maestro Woomera modem for $320 that has an LCD showing
 >>line stats, but is it my fault that the service is useless?

No, it isn't. Have a firm chat to Telstra. I've had success once in the
past by claiming I can hear other people talking on my line when it
rains! They just /would not/ fix this dodgy line, so I decided to use
alternative means - a handy intermittant fault that they just HAD to
fix. Perhaps you have some talkative neighbours all of a sudden?

Try calling your ISP's tech support though. They can (if you get someone
with a brain) get data on retrains etc from their end, and should be
able to tell you at least if it's retraining downward during the
connection etc. If you can get a session log from them, it may be useful
in arguing with Telstra.

I did have a problem somewhat like what you're describing once, and it
did turn out to be an apalling quality line (chewed by rats!), and after
  the unit's phone wiring was fixed I was getting 40kb/s. Much better
than 5 - 10 minutes connect time at 2400 baud before losing the
connection entirely or having it 'go dead' where it stayed connected but
no data would transfer.

CC'd to your main addr in case you've unsubbed already (thought you
might have a use for mail discussing your problem...), so sorry if it's
a dup.

Craig Ringer