[plug] Leaving list

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Mon Jul 21 10:32:20 WST 2003

You're 18k's from the Dandaragan exchange and on a RIM, that's 18k's (prolly
more if the line is not laid in a direct line) of copper that has the
potential to be corroded, chewed, damp or moist in some way, etc etc and
since you're not close to a capital city Telstra prolly cares even less
about you than they do about the city - and I don't think they care about
the city much either.

I'd be having a firm chat with Telsrta who'll prolly deny the problem and
recommend you go with one of their "alternative broadband services" like
Satellite or something just as expensive. Get them to do a MOLDS (which,
afaik, stands for Modem On-Line Diagnostics System) test

What number are you using to connect to WestNet ? and what modem are you
using ? your line might suck but maybe a different protocol could help
improve things just a LIIIIIITTLE bit, maybe not but it's worth a try.

Speaking of Woomera's, if you call WestNet's tech support and have a chat to
the guys about the problem, detailing exactly what you've told us, they
might be able to arrange for one of their test modems (Woomera or USR) to be
sent out to you and see what results you get, although I'm thinking you've
got a line problem the Woomera -might- provide some (usefull) information
about the line.