[plug] Realtek NIC and SuSE

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue Jul 22 10:38:52 WST 2003

'Lo guys,

I put together a new system over the weekend, with the following components

Athlon 2400+
Gigabyte GA7VT600 DDR400  M/B
PC2700 512 MB  DDR
Geforce MX440 SE 64MB  video card

There are a couple of "insurmountable opportunities" with the system.

1) Main problem is that SuSE 8.2 doesn't appear to work properly with the
built-in Realtek NIC. Cannot ping my router or anything else on my internal
network 10.x.x.x. Nothing else can ping the IP I give it, from outside,
either. ifconfig looks all right.

Just to prevent finger-pointing and accusations of hardware problems, Win
98 will ping from the machine, and so will Knoppix, and I can ping inward.
Any ideas? I've ALLTHEWEBed looking for problems with Linux and the mother
board, but no dice.

NBNB  ==============>>>> STOP THE PRESSES

While using different keywords, I found (Goes to show that different people
will get different results when searching - it's an art).

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/mjb_rtl8139_24.html

Anybody tried this already? I'll give it a go tonight, but I'd feel better
if some could vouch for it.

2) When Linux starts up, it gives a brief description of the CPU it's
running on and the clockspeed. It says Athlon 1800+ running at 1500 MHz.
Any ideas how I can get my full 2400+ speed out of this machine? I've
studied the motherboard manual, and there is one switch, but it only talks
about FSB speed there.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Regards
RichardM