[plug] Setting up LDAP

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Jul 24 16:51:33 WST 2003

I though I'd give LDAP a quick try today.

Installed slapd, edited the slapd.conf and am trying to insert the
following:

-------------------------
dn: dc=fake,dc=com,dc=au
o: Fake Org
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization

dn: ou=People,dc=fake,dc=com,dc=au
ou: People
objectclass: organizationalUnit
-------------------------

using:

 ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=fake,dc=com,dc=au" -W -v -f fake.ldif

it says this:

adding new entry "dc=fake,dc=com,dc=au"
ldapadd: update failed: dc=fake,dc=com,dc=au
ldap_add: Naming violation (64)
        additional info: naming attribute 'dc' is not present in entry

I googled and saw some (very few) examples that specify:

dc: fake  (has to match the first dc in the dn)

If I add that, it then says that 'dc' attributes are not allowed!

Can anyone please point someone who has no idea what they are doing in
the right direction?  I'm using Debian, slapd 2.1.22 running in LDAPv3
only mode - I have also tried it with LDAPv2 support with the same
result.

Thanks,

Ryan