[plug] Re: August issue of Australian Developer

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 25 15:53:17 WST 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:10:00PM +1000, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
> :)
> We have had this request a few times in the past few months..
> The initial reason we did not do this from the start..
>
> Was we wanted to be able to track what articles people read
> and thus tailor the mag to the readers.. ie more of the
> good things they like

Why don't you _tailor_ the print version to subscriber preferences?
i.e. subscribers get to customise content (through the web site)
based on the various magazine sections. Then, when you "publish";
off go the "presses", bundling appropriate pdfs off to each
subscriber who wants them by email.

The idea is so simple it should be patented. :-)

There are some sections that some people will never read; so why
bundle them into a pdf?

You can then sell advertising based on subscription levels of each
section that'll be "in print", as well as hits on the web site.