[plug] LinuxTag 2003 - Press Release

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Jun 8 22:33:11 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 20:59, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Chris Samuel has just pointed out on LA's main list that LinuxTag have
> taken out a second injuction against SCO's site and are seeking a
> contempt ruling following the return of the sco.de with the offending
> document still in place.
>
>     http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/press/releases.xsp?id=4
>
>     Klaus Knopper, developer of the GNU/Linux distribution Knoppix,
>     criticized the strategy behind SCO's claims: "What kind of
>     respect is SCO showing for the intellectual property of the
>     many Linux developers who have worked to develop an operating
>     system that is free and open to all -- on which SCO's own
>     Linux distribution was based, by the way? You can read on the
>     SCO website that they have used and continue to use other GPL
>     software in their products," Knopper added.
>
> Methinks SCO may have put their foot in it big time in Germany.
> Microsoft already have a bad rap (OS/2 and more recently Linux have
> been very popular there), so it'll be interesting to see if the Germans
> start lumping the two together when referring to them.
>
> Meantime, our own WA TAFE system is aiming for 100% Microsoft, starting
> with (would you believe) Outlook on every desktop. The next Nimda that
> happens along is going to cripple them.

Which TAFE?

I believe there's a few of them: West Coast, South West Metropolitan,
Challenger, Central tafe.

I don't think they will be 100% but I know what you mean. I'm stuyding
small business management at Central in Perth and I hated the unit where
we used computers because it was all MS stuff so I got an exemption. I
go there to learn about business, my IT knowledge I take care of myself.

There are units in IT at central tafe albeit they all seem to be on
Redhat. I was talking to a friend from my gym that is now studying IT
there and he was telling me about how they were testing out LTSP load
balancing under strain.

I spoke to one of the IT integrators there and asked about Linux and he
said they use it a fair bit. I didn't ask where though but I suspect
they have a more than a few Linux servers setup.

regards,

Chris