[plug] LinuxTag 2003 - Press Release

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jun 10 11:42:29 WST 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:33, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 20:59, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> Meantime, our own WA TAFE system is aiming for 100% Microsoft,
>> starting with (would you believe) Outlook on every desktop. The
>> next Nimda that happens along is going to cripple them.

> Which TAFE?

All of them. According to my inside contact, they're aiming to
completely centralise all of their IT (just like the EdDept) and on the
way, turn it all into Microsoft. Teaching labs may be specifically
exemptable, but as I understand it practically nothing else will.

> I spoke to one of the IT integrators there and asked about Linux and
> he said they use it a fair bit. I didn't ask where though but I
> suspect they have a more than a few Linux servers setup.

And a few workstations. But until the current top-down mania for a
centralised monoculture run by banana-fed MCSEs expires, they're going
to find it a hard row to hoe.

Cheers; Leon