[plug] LIDS - Linux Intrusion Detection System: thoughts?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 9 10:35:30 WST 2003

Dear Plug list members,

While looking for kernel security updates I stumbled across LIDS.   The
overview seems to be hardening a la Bastille (making certain files /
directories read-only, restricting write privs, etc) plus some
network-specific features preventing processes from working with sockets
(perhaps along netfiltering lines.)   The aim being to prevent worms from
invading the kernel space.   It is early days of glancing at the doco so
forgive the brief summary.   There is obviously a fairly steep learning
curve to prevent it from eating the system unexpectedly with mis-configured
options.

Questions:  Is anybody here using it?   If so, how many penguins does it
rate: is it a Worth While Thing (tm) - five penguins - or a Stay Away At
All Costs (tm) - zero penguins?

My interest in it concerns a server that I want to harden as much as
humanly possible short of powering it off, detaching all its cables and
burying it in much concrete.

Thoughts appreciated,
Denis