DOV ISDN Was Re: [plug] Another network question (IP Aliasing)

Arkem (Paul) arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Tue Jun 10 17:19:15 WST 2003

> I suppose BR ISDN (dual mode) would do the trick as a backup, but lets
> just say its business pricing is ... extremely unattractive.

This is one of my problems currently. We need to connect a remote office (at a
residential location that currently supplies external web/mail services for
the company) to the main office which has no option of ADSL but requires
always on at speeds higher than dialup. The suggestion from the semi-technial
management type was to use an ISDN link via Data Over Voice between the
premises. But unfortunately buisness ISDN works on timed calls (thank you
Telstra). Apparently the $40/month DoV ISP bill would be too steep and
instead I need to figure out how to implement this =)

Looks like I'm going to sit a DoV modem connected to the linux server (at the
residential end) and have it dial a cisco router with a BRI interface at the
head office and do it that way to take advantage of untimed residential ISDN
calls versus timed buisness ISDN calls. Do I need to have a router at one
end? I've heard recently that the DoV support in 2.4.20 is quite
comprehensive but would it allow dial-in DoV connections?

I guess I'll probably use a cisco router anyways since I can pick up at 1603
for $200 which is cheaper than a modern DoV modem(just).

Is there anything I'm missing with this crazy scheme?

-Paul