[plug] Database advice - Newbie

Jay Warwick jtwarwick at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 23 17:29:48 WST 2003

I need to set-up a database which will probably be standalone
application, but at short notice may need to be developed to web
database.

Our company (small) has been advised by someone over east to use Access
to build initial database and move up to M$ SQL server when the time is
right.  It has also been suggested to use Visual Basic.

Obviously I would prefer to use free/Linux software (my business partner
is less computer literate than I) and am thinking of postgresql with
Java  because we may also need to access data from other hardware
(various types of swipe cards and exercise equipment) - on a Linux
server.  Cost is also an issue, is it easy/quick for Java programmers
and is it the best option.

Personal e-mail me if you have more question or suggestions.
--

Thank you,

Jay Warwick