[plug] Fwd: Mandrake 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 26 12:29:53 WST 2003

>>My current Mandrake 9.0 system seems slightly broken with occasional
>>crashes causeing a boot time fsck check etc. Mozilla is definitely
>>broken.
>
>>I have the three 9.1 disks. Is it possible to upgrade to 9.1 and keep
>>all the settings that I've worked on over the last six months? And if
>>so, How?
>
> Boot the first CD, choose Upgrade.

However, if your system is showing signs of breakage, an upgrade might
not be the best idea. Depends a lot on what the problem is, though.

Mozilla may be fixable by moving your old ~/.mozilla dir to, say,
~/.mozilla-old and creating a new profile. You can then migrate
bookmarks, mail (if you use it for that and use POP3 not IMAP), etc.
Depends on the nature of the problem - what exactly is happening?

Crashing is interesting though. Does it just freeze and have to be
hard-reset, or do you get a kernel panic (you can tell under X because
the keyboard LEDs blink)?

Craig Ringer