[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Mar 7 11:14:16 WST 2003

Peter J. Nicol wrote:

>>  >From what I understand, IBM plays similar nasty games with AS400 and
S390,
>>  so ...
>>  >bugger em ... I will use the stuff that gives me total freedom ... and
be
>>  more
>>  >than happy when this co-incides with increased productivity as well.

>http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tfh032502-story02.html

>Deliberately limiting how much of your processor you can use?  Bugger em!

Thanks for the answer!

A quote from one of the articles:

 "In effect, IBM sells levels of software performance, which drive user
 seats, as hardware features because it is simpler. "

 It appears from the article that the customer contracts for a machine
 "tailored" for a specific workload. When his needs change, he phones the
 vendor who sells him a way to cater for the changed needs - hardware. That
 the hardware is simply a jumper (or something) to enable software to
 unthrottle a resource is well known and accepted in the mainframe world
 and has been used for decades by IBM, Hitachi and Ahmdahl.

 It was accepted that it was simpler that the machines were all built the
 same, with the same hardware specifications. Of course they could have
 built them in all sorts of different grades - like Intel did with the 486
 family (explanation below), but then upgrades would have been more like
 exchanges, with the vendor left with an inventory of unuseable parts.

 The fact was that the customer was getting top-of-the line hardware, for a
 lesser price to run the workload he had specified, and when more capacity
 was needed, it was paid for and supplied. The customer was paying for the
 capacity, not for the hardware as such.

 If you would prefer it, I'm sure that they could deliberately remove
 hardware which the customer had not paid for - it's an equally viable
 approach, except that it complicates record keeping on the vendor side.

 An analogy would be - person A goes to person B who is a hardware
 supplier, and says he wants a 500MHz Celeron PC without any CD drives,
 64MB memory and 5GB disk, right now, but A wants the ability to upgrade to
 3GHzP4 with 256GB memory and 20 TB of disk with CD drives - burners etc. B
 then sells him a machine that incorporates all the second lot of specs,
 but tapes the CD drives shut, disables the extra memory and disk storage
 on BIOS, and throttles the P4 to Celeron specs, because A hasn't paid for
 it. And sells it for the price of the first config. Person A then
 discovers all the other stuff there and cries foul because he can't use
 all that he paid for, even though he hasn't paid for it. Strange person,
 this person A.

 It makes me think of Broadband as well - you contract with an ISP to
 provide 128/64 to your house after studying all the options provided by
 your ISP, and pay for that. Then you discover that your line is capable of
 handling 1024/1024, so you take the ISP to task for deliberately limiting
 how much of your ADSL line you can use?  Bugger em!

 Compare this with this quote :"Deliberately limiting how much of your
 processor you can use?  Bugger em!"

 I afraid I can't get too excited about this exidence of the perfidiousness
 of big business.

 RichardM

 Explanation:
 All 486 chips started equal. After production they were tested at the
 highest speed they were selling. If the chip passed the test, it was
 certified as being a 66MHz (or whatever). If it failed, it was retested at
 the next lower speed, if it passed, it was cerified as being of that
 speed, and so on down, till they found that a chip couldn't pass any tests
 in which case it was discarded. Similarly, if the FPU failed, it would be
 disabled and marketted as an SX instead of a DX.