[plug] Dual Booting

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Mar 19 16:22:39 WST 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:07:59PM +0800, James Elliott wrote:
| I was going to partition my 20 GB hard disk into two 10 GB partitions and
| install Windows in one partition and Debian Linux in the other, but an ISP
| Help Desk person told me yesterday I would have problems doing that because
| each OS needs to start in the first 2-4 GB of the disk space.  He suggested
| I would be much better off with two HDD's because then each OS would
| automatically be in the first 4 B of its respective disk.
|
| Is that correct?

No.  I have a 60GB drive with a 40GB Win2K partition and 20GB of Linux
partitions.  Note that if your BIOS is confused about large drives you
/might/ be unable to boot from areas >500MB (generally only on >10 years
machines) or >8GB (on some more recent machines), or >40GB (?) on yet
more recent machines still.

If your BIOS /is/ having trouble coping with a large drive, you can work
around it by placing both your Windows C: drive and Linux /boot
partition in the first little bit.

CP.