[plug] [OT] mirror.3fl.net and ParNet

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 27 09:56:58 WST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 21:52, Ben Jensz wrote:

> The mirror.3fl.net machine has 3 IP addresses (and NICs).
>
> 202.72.191.2 (heimdall.3fl.net, www.3fl.net)
> 202.72.191.129 (no hostname)
> and the WAIX only IP of 172.22.130.18 (mirror.3fl.net)
>
> Obviously we run mirror.3fl.net off of the WAIX only IP address as we
> don't allow external access to the file mirror.  It was previously on an
> externally routable IP address (i.e. a real IP address), but to restrict
> it to WAIX only a lot easier, it was put onto a 172 WAIX only routable
> IP address.  I'm not down on all of the exact logistics of it all, as I
> don't work for WestNet. :)

I suppose you couldn't set up a parnet.3fl.net virtual server on the www IP
with the same content as mirror and restrict it to the Uni IP ranges, could
you? Of all the WAIX internal stuff, mirror.3fl.net is the one I find most
useful... ^_^

> Personally I don't see what ParNet's problem with it is?  All other WAIX
> connected ISPs/members don't seem to have a problem with it....

Well, one problem is that Uni people can saturate a WAIX link easier than ADSL
people. Still, I don't think barring all Parnet traffic is the right
solution...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |