[plug] Mandrake 9.1 rant (now mplayer and tv cards)

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Mon Mar 31 18:48:13 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:25, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > an old Provideo TV card.
>
> Is it good? Does it support radio input? Do you know if its still
> possible to get them? I've got a FlyVideo 3000 and the drivers are only
> barely useable. Radio in doesn't work at all. So if anybody knows of
> good radio-in capable TV cards, I'm all ears.

Yeah i can listen to FM no probs. I even setup inittab so it tuned to
92.9 on startup so static didn't come out of my speakers every time i
started.
They rebadged it but i can't remember what it was, E-mail me offlist to
remind me and I'll find out what it was. Originally it was called (in
Australia) 3demon.

> mplayer [options] -fs -xineramascreen <n> <file-list>
> where <n> is a number from 0 (primary display) up. Usually you'll want
> xineramascreen 1 for your secondary display.

It worked, I can't believe i didn't see it earlier.

> I don't know about gmplayer, though. I still find it lacking and it has
> the nasty habit of failing to obey command-line params, yet not
> supporting those in the GUI.

I don't use it either but my wife likes to have a pretty display.
Actually it is quite weird i have been using Mplayer for a while without
realising how good it was. I gave a few movies to a friend who was a M$
user and the problems he had with codecs was quite large. I didn't
realise how many different codecs there are now and how simple it is
installing codecs is in Mplayer.

Where should i start to get DVD(decss) support in Mandrake for Xine?

Regards

--
Scott Middleton
Linux Information Technology