[plug] plex86 + bochs

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri May 2 22:54:00 WST 2003

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any success using plex86 + bochs to
run Windows on top of Linux.

I got bochs working fine (but slow of course) running win95 on my Sid
setup.

I then tried to use the HD image to run plex86 but it kept freezing or
seg-faulting and dropping out on me every time I tried invoking it.

I think I eventually killed the sid (due it restarting the system on me)
setup after a long session of tweaking.

According to:

http://plex86.sourceforge.net/

"    *  Or plex86 can be used to accelerate bochs, by executing user
code inside the plex86 VM, while letting bochs execute kernel code and
IO functionality inside the emulator.   This is useful for executing
binary-only OSes, and ones without the simple mods noted above.   This
was also demonstrated recently(2).
"

2. I released a proof-of-concept tarball of a bochs+plex86 configuration
which demonstrated a simple "cycle-burn" user program, which clocked out
at 90% of native (host) speed.   That's not intended to be a valid
benchmark, but more to get an idea of the upper watermark of application
performance when the OS is quiet, and thus does not require much
emulation by the bochs component.   For more information search the
bochs developers email list for "plex86".

sounds very interesting

regards,

Chris Caston