[plug] Bt868/829 support

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue May 6 12:12:42 WST 2003

>>Ouch. I have an nVidia card, and I look to my housemate's Sapphire
>>Radeon 9700 with drooling envy for that reason - infintely better colour
>>and sharpness. The fact that he has a Mitsubishi 2070U 21" doesn't hurt,
>>compared to my Philips 109P 19".
>
> ive heard many mixed reports about Radeons.

I've not seen a single problem with his - the video quality is
disgustingly good (I don't just mean 3D render quality, I mean 2d
sharpness and colour "depth" too - its just /nicer/) and its  a
seriously high-performance card.

However, he does have a top-quality radeon with (I believe) improved
DACs not the usual ones used on the radeon boards. That probably
explains the vastly better 2d quality - but doesn't stop me wanting one.

>>I take it that
>>	"modprobe bttv && xawtv" doesn't work ;-)
>
> nope, dies horribly.
>
> further investigation seems to suggest Bt829s arent supported as noone
> has been able to coax enough spec info from ATI.

*sigh*

Oh well. I hate that /so/ much - the "sorry, we won't release enough
info for driver development, nor will we release a driver" attitude
among too many hardware manufacturers.