[plug] Mandrake 9.1

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 9 12:39:40 WST 2003

>> Does mandrake still dislike 486's?
>
> Yes, but doesnt everyone? Are there actually any 486s left running? ;)

Yeah. We have 12 of them at work running win95 for the sales staff.
We're throwing them out the window shortly in favour of an LTSP-based
thin client setup with P100s, though.

> You would want to put a gateway setup on anything less than a P200 anyway -
> there's an article in a recent Linux Format (IIRC) which explains why.

Mine at home is a P166 (with 128mb of RAM!!) and it struggles pretty
badly. Of course, its running Xvnc for 'doze users to monitor its
traffic levels, link status, etc, plus it has complex iptables rules and
is using HTB QoS... and to top it all off, its running bind9 for our
LAN's DNS and runs samba. Most of the CPU time seems to be munched by
PPPoEd, PPPd and the kernel (firewalling, QoS, etc) though.

So I think a P100 should be quite fine for a basic iptables
firewall/gateway.

> ps. sorry everyone for continually breaking the threading, but iinet's webmail
> is the only way I can access my email while at work and it suxxors.

Mozilla seems to be figuring it out OK.