[plug] More SCO in the news

mark nicholls.m at lineone.net
Fri May 16 22:57:38 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kai Jones" <kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 6:03 AM
Subject: RE: [plug] More SCO in the news

http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articleprint.tmplh&ArticleId
> =96369
>
> This leads me to beleive Microsoft are running scared and, as usual,
trying
> very hard to give a public impression that they're not worried but behind
> the scenes they're doing as much as possible to undermine OSS in every way
> they can think of, even if it means breaking the law but that's nothing
new
> to them.
>
> I remember not that long ago Microsoft was blaming OSS as a major reason
for
> their share prices going down (maybe to try and get investors to despise
OSS
> as much Microsoft do, I dunno) and I guess there's only a few ways you can
> attack a competitor that isn't owned by any single organisation and I'm
sure
> we'll see more FUD and the usual tricks now and in future.

After reading  in LinuxFormat the reason for SCO to take IBM to court for
misappropiate use of code, there seems to be an inconsistency of facts as to
dates and claims of technological advancement's given in their 103
paragraphs of statement.

What especially amused me, is the quote or statement of the inability of
Linux to be a serious threat to SCO or UNIX as Linux development is sketchy
with no coordination.   It would appear the implication is we owe it all to
big blue when they were on the scene in 1999!  For Linux would never have
progressed without their injection of UNIX intellectual property.

Maybe SCO are hoping after their bleating that someone will buy them out,
IBM or even the Redmond giants (who could have stirred the sh*t).  One can
only watch and wonder :-0