[plug] WAIX

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed May 21 16:18:58 WST 2003

If you are with Amnet from what I was told you cannot get WAIX yourself or they charge you for it one or the other.  I just know it's not free as I'm with Amnet with a VPN to several sites and we cannot get access to it.  Time to move along.

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> kirk.turner at wagoonline.com 3:10:51 PM 21/05/2003 >>>
Excuse my ignorance, but I just wanted to check out about WAIX.I read a
bit about it at their site but would like some more (practical)
information.

Basically its a network of (largely) ISPs that have bandied together
with whomever provides the backbone to reduce costs (make free) any
traffic between said ISPs? From a second read it sounds more like the
insurance companies we'll pay for ours if you pay for yours...

Does that sound anywhere near correct? Does this mean that since our ISP
is Amnet (and its a member of WAIX) that download costs are fast/cheap
to other WAIX sites?

Is this the same/different from AARNET for the unis/gov group?

Thanks,

Kirk