[plug] Qmail

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 7 13:05:52 WST 2003

In message <BBD1424E.2DB3%ahewitt at globaldial.com>
on Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:36:30PM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> This is 99% what I want. I gave it a try and was very impressed with the way
> that Mutt handled the email, except for one thing...it doesn't leave the
> attachments encoded? Is there a way to send them with the attachments still
> encoded?

(Preface: there shouldn't be anything wrong with editing the mail file
using `vim` and then going `sendmail recipient at blah.net < vim` or maybe
even `sendmail -t < vim`. No need to invoke a mailer at all, unless you
wish to modify the attachments or something.)

I think I know what you mean...with the -H option, mutt edits your
e-mail message in the raw, without MIME interpretation, so the encoding
is entirely unmodified. But I think this is probably your problem...for
example, it will append your signature to this message. This is one of
the problems with e-mail -- attachments are only an illusion. This is
the same problem you'll have if you press the 'e' key on a message in a
mailbox. The only way of working around this in mutt, that I know of, is
to ask it to read the file as though it's your 'postponed messages'
mailbox. For example:

mkdir drafts/
mkdir drafts/tmp drafts/new drafts/cur
mv 1065071214.20111.blah drafts/cur
mutt -e 'set postponed=drafts' -p

The advantage of this is that you can edit multiple files without having
to re-invoke mutt. However, it does look ugly, doesn't it!