[plug] OO.o - slide from hell

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 09:45:14 WST 2003

Dear PLUG list members,

A user (from a related but different UWA site) has prepared a PowerPoint
slide presentation in Office-XP.   Most slides in this Cecil B. DeMille,
cast of thousands, glorious living Technicolor extravaganza cooperate
nicely with OO.o (and with Office 97 for that matter) but two
fancy-transition slides in particular fail to display legibly.

The slides in question comprise multiple graphs and annotations, each of
which is supposed to disappear, to be replaced with its successor upon a
key-press from the operator, while common heading text remains on
display.   The same effect could be achieved by having several slides, each
with common heading text and each having its own graph.  The user would
then select between the slides in the usual manner (timed or press spacebar).

Given the urgency of the situation the presenter will supply and use their
own XP-equipped laptop but I am curious to know if others have faced this
sort of challenge and if so, has it been dealt with successfully?   I would
add that my standard roll-out to my clients includes nothing beyond Office
97 and over the next few years I'll move them to OO.o and then Linux as the
OS.   <rant>  I have no objection to Cecil B. DeMille productions per se
but wonder at the need to employ such for what is after all a scientific
presentation, not a game show. <end rant>

TIA,
Denis