[plug] TV Tuner Card: Leadtek?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 09:48:37 WST 2003

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 18:59, Mike Holland wrote:
> Trevor,
> search the PLUG archives - I'm pretty sure this has been discussed here
> before.

I've had a bit of a search. I was after more specific answers about quality
and features, though...

>   Most boards I've seen are BT878-based and will probably work fine, once
> you've found the correct module parameters.
>   The FlyVideo 3000 does stereo, but its  a newer chip, and may not be
> supported so well. (see plug archive)

The Stereo concern is because the official Leadtek site has a few cryptic
statements:
  "Watch high-quality TV with dbx-stereo in full screen or a scalable window
(Stereo funciton only with MTS module)"
The "brochure" (a PDF) doesn't list the chipset (that I can see), but does
have a similar blurb about dbx-stereo and MTS, with the added proviso that
it's NTSC: "*Dbx-stereo is only provided for NTSC tuner with MTS feature".

Actually, now I'm back at the site, it lists this card as a "Fusion 878A"
Chipset. Well, the number matches "bt878" - but is it the same thing?
Googling shows a relationship between them, but no clear & cut "yes it'll
work".

>   For a PVR, why muck about with analogue? Cheap digital tuners can be had
> now. At least, from $200, its a lot less than the HD-TV to go with it.

Because I'm on a tight budget, where it's a stretch to throw about $100 on
something that will hopefully do everything I want it to. I'd love to have
digital, but it's not a priority yet. Maybe in a year or two. Sure, it'd be
nice to jump straight to digital, but unless there's a really cheap one,
which is good quality, then I can't justify the expense.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> If it's anything like the BT878 that I have, a grunty CPU would be
> required for compression.  My old 800 MHz Duron couldn't even manage
> MJPEG compression of full-sized PAL frames; I recently upgraded to an

This TV tuner card will go in a PC with "only" a Celeron 2.2GHz. I'm sure it
could do on the fly compression, but ideally it'd be nice to be able to
record TV, while watching something else.

I really need to try and get the G400 TV out working - the crappy on-board
video really sucks away the processing cycles (software scaling. UGH!).

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |