[plug] PoPToP PPTP server for Linux ->Windows VPN

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 22 22:04:18 WST 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 04:51:37PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I was wondering if someone on [plug] has any experience with PPTP,
> specifically the PoPToP VPN server for Linux. I'm having to deal
> with my first "mobile user" here (*ARRGGH*) and need a VPN option
> that I can restrict (firewall off SMB, etc), will run well on a
> Linux server and accept Windows client machines.

Wow... I'm now going down a similar path... set up pptpd on the
firewall but the remote Windows can't see past the firewall once
connected.

Mud map:
                                                +--(NT sewer)
    +---------+                +----------+     |
    |         |                |          | LAN |--(printers)
    | Windows |--->(Internet)->| Linux    |>----+
    | remote  |                | firewall |     |--(PCs)
    |         |                | pptpd    |     |

The pptpd sets up ppp0 addresses in 192.168.0.0/24; LAN addresses
are 192.168.x.0/24 where x is something other than 0.

Windows is a mystery to me; does it set a route to the office LAN?
Cant's see it.

Do I have to NAT SMB, etc to the ppp network at the firewall?