[plug] DVD Burning...

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Nov 23 11:04:26 WST 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:47:33AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
| Gah! I'm having real problems burning DVDs. Basically, I burn a DVD, it
| burns fine (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 drive), it verifies fine, everything
| is happy. I then stick the burnt DVD-R in a DVD-ROM drive, and I get
| data/IO errors.

Does the burnt DVD-R work fine in the burner?  If so, that's a bit of a
worry for me as I have a few DVD-R backups that I haven't tested in a
drive other than the one I burned it with... :-/

| I'm using dvdrecord. I'd like to try burning at a slower speed, but no
| matter what speed setting I pass to it, it always does it at speed 4.
| Any ideas why it's refusing to burn slower?

No idea.  I have the reverse problem:  dvdrecord has, for me, always
burned at speed 1, no matter what I tell it, despite having a drive
which claims to be 4x and media rated for 2x.  This is using a TEAC
drive.

| I'm now trawling for newer firmware and alternate burning software, but
| any experiences/tips would be appreciated.

Apparently dvd+rw-tools now works with DVD-R drives, so you might want
to give that a try.  Having said that, I've never actually tried
anything but dvdrecord.  Sufficiently recent versions of k3b (0.10) can
use dvd+rw-tools to burn DVDs without having to resort to command-line
fiddling.

Cameron.