[plug] DVD Burning...

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Nov 25 13:56:03 WST 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 11:04, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 10:47:33AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> | Gah! I'm having real problems burning DVDs. Basically, I burn a DVD, it
> | burns fine (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 drive), it verifies fine, everything
> | is happy. I then stick the burnt DVD-R in a DVD-ROM drive, and I get
> | data/IO errors.
>
> Does the burnt DVD-R work fine in the burner?  If so, that's a bit of a
> worry for me as I have a few DVD-R backups that I haven't tested in a
> drive other than the one I burned it with... :-/

Yes, yes it is a worry. I burn it, I verify it on the burner, and all is fine.
But when I put it in a DVD-ROM, it gives errors (often towards the latter
part of the content). I've tried multiple burners, and multiple DVD-ROMs
(both old and new). Curiously, about the only trend is that the problem
burners are recent Pioneer burners. However, my statistical sample of other
burners is 1, which worked. ^_^

> Apparently dvd+rw-tools now works with DVD-R drives, so you might want
> to give that a try.  Having said that, I've never actually tried
> anything but dvdrecord.  Sufficiently recent versions of k3b (0.10) can
> use dvd+rw-tools to burn DVDs without having to resort to command-line
> fiddling.

I finally gave up, grabbed cdrecord-prodvd, jumped through the hoops to get
the "non-profit" license string working, and gave it a go, and yes, it let me
burn at slower than the disk-rated speed. Yay!

So far, the results are good, but again, statistical sample is small: I burnt
1 DVD at 1x (rated to be 4x capable), and it works fine in the 2 DVD-ROM
drives I've tried it in.

I'll do some more burns, maybe try a 2x burn. Frankly, I'd rather do a slower
burn, if it gives me a more reliable data backup.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |