[plug] Boot oops

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 28 01:41:04 WST 2003

> Since you appear to be using the same process, and you
> said 'yes' to its question about LILO, I wonder how it is that things
> aren't working for you?

Most likely he:
	- has a buggy BIOS
	- has an old BIOS and a big new disk with the kernel "below" the part
of the disk that the BIOS can address
	- has LILO misconfigured somehow (ie LBA48 mode with an LBA32 only
BIOS, LINEAR mode on incompatable gear, etc).
	- has the kernel on a disk other than the primary BIOS boot disk . This
is OK, but more complex, especially if it's not on the secondary disk
either but some other drive.
	- has hit a weird LILO big or incompatability

Best fix:
	use GRUB - it's better. Yeah, IMHO - but I /never/ have to waste time
on fiddling with boot issues anymore. It's perfect even on hardware made
in one of the real "trouble" periods and on boards I've always had boot
issues with. It also works happily with a Quantum BigFoot that for some
reason LILO has never liked. You also no longer need to rewrite the MBR
whenever you change things around. Lilo has been dropped by modern
distros for good reasons.

Craig Ringer