[plug] Weird!, but the question is, how can I fix or delete these files?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Nov 29 23:00:16 WST 2003

[Only just received the post ... spark must be stuck in another rut.]

Various points, in no particular order:

 - seems like the filesystem/inodes are corrupt (and perhaps the meta
   data flags have been set to erroneous values in this failure
   situation),
 - having files with 'no permissions' is not it itself a problem (just
   try `chmod 0`, for example).
 - you remarked that Bash will do tab completion on the file names but
   that `ls -al` gives "permission denied". However, you didn't show us
   of `ls` on its own gives "permission denied". I imagine that it would
   not. I.e. those inode *are* correctly listed within the directory but
   their meta data are unreadable -- I am guessing it is the `-l` option
   that causes the failure. I wonder what `lsattr` does -- assuming
   ext2/3.