[plug] dselect help

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 2 15:09:25 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <3F7BC49C.2080905 at iinet.net.au>
> on Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:24:28PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
>>I have just tried installing evolution which has failed.  I have my
>>sources.list pointed to testing but the required package is only
>>available in stable.
>

> Interesting. Evolution is listed in all of stable/testing/unstable here:
> <http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=evolution&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all>

Yes, evolution is, however I was a little unclear in my problem
description.  evolution wants libgnome-pilot1 which is only in stable.

>>Perhaps I am wrong but I was under the impression that any
>>dependancies for a testing or unstable package would also be in the
>>same stream.
>

> Do you have an /etc/apt/preferences for pinning at all? You might like
> to use the "-t testing" option for apt-get in order to effectively
> ignore stable and resolve all the dependencies within testing.

No, I have nothing there.  I skimmed over that bit in the manuals on the
debian site as I had never heard anyone mention them so I figured it
wasn't too important.  I was a bit eager to do less reading and more
installing :-) at the time.  Perhaps I should now do some more reading.

Tim Bowden