[plug] Big Gun needed for X battle

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 7 15:40:44 WST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:09:58PM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:

| I am using XFree86 version 4.2.1.1

Have you tried XFree 4.3.0?  That's what the latest Knoppix uses.  It's
available in Debian experimental as well as woody backports. Also, some
quirky display adapters need to have support compiled into the kernel to
run properly - perhaps yours is one of those?

| I tried adding the 0's into the debian file but to no avail.  'man
| XF86Config-4' gave no more than a cursory description of the "Server
| Layout" section so I have no idea what the 0's do.

They only make a difference if you have multiple screens, in which case
they let you specify the coordinates of one screen in relation to the
others.

| two BusID's XFree86 complained about; i.e.
| BusId		"PCI:0:2:0" and
| BusId		"PCI:0:2:1" respectively, however this has not helped.

My graphics card shows up as two entries also (in my case, PCI:2:0:0 and
PCI:2:0:1) but only the 2:0:0 actually does anything useful in the
XF86Config file.

HTH,

Cameron.